Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas
Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas Here are a few tasty Christmas dinner ideas to help you prepare your Christmas dinner menu. Roasted Apple Pumpkin Soup Ingredients: 4 lbs pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2 in. pieces 4...
Here are a few tasty Christmas dinner ideas to help you prepare your Christmas dinner menu.
Roasted Apple Pumpkin Soup
- 4 lbs pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2 in. pieces
- 4 large unpeeled, cored, sweet-tart apples cut into eighths. Empire, Cameo, or Braeburn work best.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or rosemary
- 6 cups low salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss pumpkin or squash with the apples, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a big bowl and evenly spread on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, stirring once. Stir in sage and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes or until tender and starting to brown.
- Take about 1/3 of the pumpkin or squash and apples with 2 cups of broth and put in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Next put the puree in a Dutch oven and repeat for two more batches. Season the rest with 1/4 tsp. of salt and heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly to prevent splattering, for about 6 minutes.
- Top with hazelnuts and a drizzle of hazelnut oil.
Vermont Cheddar Mashed Yukon Golds
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 -inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh chives, divided
- Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil about 20-25 minutes or until very soft and tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the heat and drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Mash with a potato masher. Stir in 1 1/4 cups cheese until melted.
- Add buttermilk, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in 3 tablespoons chives.
- Arrange in a serving dish and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1 tablespoon chives.
Honey Glazed Ham
- 5-6 lb. fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup whole cloves
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham cut side down in a foil-lined roasting pan.
- Using a sharp knife, score the the ham in a diamond pattern. Place the whole cloves in the middle of the scored areas.
- Combine corn syrup, cardamom, honey, butter, brown sugar, orange juice, and pepper in the top half of a double boiler, and heat until the butter melts and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally. Keep this glaze in the top of a double boiler, over hot water, while baking ham.
- Brush glaze over ham, then cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees, basting ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the warm honey glaze.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking time, remove the foil and turn on broiler to caramelize the glaze. Carefully watch ham during broiling to prevent burning.
- Remove ham from oven and cover with foil, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve the pan juices on the side to drizzle over each slice of ham
Contact us for more great Christmas recipes or to take a look at any of our products that will make your Christmas dinner preparations much easier.