Delicious Thanksgiving Soups
Pumpkin Soup Soup is a great way to begin any meal, and your Thanksgiving dinner is no exception. Start your meal with the wonderful taste of fall or maybe with something unexpected. No matter what you decide to go...
Soup is a great way to begin any meal, and your Thanksgiving dinner is no exception. Start your meal with the wonderful taste of fall or maybe with something unexpected. No matter what you decide to go with, whether its the traditional pumpkin or special parsnip and vanilla soup, any of these Thanksgiving soups are sure to please.
If you are serving soup with your Thanksgiving dinner, pumpkin is a normal go to choice. However, Food & Wine takes it a bit further by topping their pumpkin soup with lobster. This may sound a bit odd, but the lobster brings out the earthy tones in the pumpkin.
Roasted Parsnip and Vanilla Chocolate Soup
This soup may sound like it should be saved for the end of the meal however it is not a sweet tasting soup. The parsnips, in this Food Network recipe, take away the sweetness from the chocolate and vanilla that is used. Instead, the result is a wonderful balance of earthy flavors that we associate with fall.
Cider Onion Soup
This recipe takes the traditional onion soup and creates a sweet, warming version that is sure to please your dinner guests. This About Food's recipe replaces the white wine, that is traditionally used in onion soup, with hard cider. Also a rind cheese and whole grain bread is used to help bring out that earthy, nutty fall flavor.
Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
If you are looking for a more traditional but yet elegant start to your dinner, Better Homes and Gardens squash and carrot soup would be a perfect choice. To add a bit of style to your soup, consider trading in the onions for leeks. Top with some roasted pumpkin seeds for a little crunch, and you will have the perfect start to your meal.
My Traditional Thanksgiving Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash Soup is a Thanksgiving classic. What most people don't realize is that it actually doesn't take that long to prepare. It's always nice when your tastiest dishes aren't time intensive.
This Butternut Squash Soup Recipe only takes about 25 minutes of prep time! Although do keep in mind it does take an additional 35 minutes (approximately) of cook time.
- 6 tablespoons of diced onion
- 4 tablespoons of margarine or butter
- 6 cups of butternut squash, peeled and cubed.
- 3 cups of water
- 4 cubes of chicken bouillon (can be substituted for a can of chicken broth or homemade broth if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
- 2 pears or 2 apples- peeled, cored and cubed
- plain yogurt or sour cream and chives or other herbs to decorate
- Saute the butter and onions, until the onions are tender.
- Add in the squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.(if you decide to use pears add them in this step)
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- Carefully remove the squash.
- In a food processor, blend the cream cheese and squash until smooth.
- Put the squash and cream cheese back in the pot.
- Heat up the soup fully, but don't let it boil.
- Serve sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, chives or other herbs.
- Consider dicing up jalapenos to give your soup a kick. Or maybe serve on the side for those who want to spice up their soup.
- For the calorie conscious, the cream cheese can be skipped. Instead just put a spoon of plain yogurt on top of the soup.
- Milk, cream or coconut milk/cream can be used in place of the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle the soup with cheese for added flavor when serving or put a scoop of sour cream on top.
- You may wish to oven roast your squash prior to pureeing it. The roasting can give it better flavor!
Soup is the perfect way to start your Thanksgiving feast. If you are still searching for that perfect soup recipe for your Thanksgiving, feel free to contact us, and we will gladly help to point you in the right direction. Visit our website for cookware, bakeware, cooking tools and gadgets that will help you create a perfect Thanksgiving meal!