Exploring Exotic Meats: Beer Battered Cajun Alligator Recipe
When was the last time you stepped out of your comfort zone in the kitchen? Whether you're a well-seasoned chef or a novice foodie, exploring new cuisines can expand your knowledge of cooking--not to mention, explode your taste buds...
Beer Battered Cajun Alligator
- 2 lbs. alligator, sliced into strips
- 1 can of beer, any variety
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1 C yellow corn meal
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Place the cornmeal in a shallow dish.
- In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the beer, flour, and spices to make a batter.
- Dip each strip of alligator meat into the batter, then coat liberally in the corn meal. Set the strips aside on a sheet of wax paper until ready to fry.
- Heat about a half inch of oil in a large skillet.
- When the oil is hot, add the breaded alligator strips to the pan. Cook until browned, then flip and cook until the other side is brown.
- Continue to cook the alligator strips in batches until it is all done.