Meatless Monday Broccoli Slaw with Peanut Sauce
Broccoli Slaw Crispy Slaw As the weather changes it seems like time to up-date our menus again. I do not know about you, but sometimes I just have a taste for something and lately I try to make this...
As the weather changes it seems like time to up-date our menus again. I do not know about you, but sometimes I just have a taste for something and lately I try to make this “taste” a bit “healthier”. Somehow Peanut Sauce has been haunting me lately. I love the Asian flavors, the richness of the peanut butter and the spices. I usually make this Peanut Sauce over a half pound of pasta which adds some unwanted carbs for me. I have been struggling with how else to serve this favored sauce. I have considered Lentils, and still might try this option, but came across another suspect in Broccoli Slaw and decided to try this as my vehicle to enjoy Peanut Sauce.
I really liked the results of this new creation, but must warn you that this dish was much better fresh over the left-overs. The next day the Broccoli Slaw did not have the crunch the initial creation yielded. I will make this as I wish to eat it from this point forward. I also adapted the recipe and added some steamed veggies to add in even more “good eats” to this new slaw.
This recipe is especially kid-friendly, who does not like Peanut Sauce?
Broccoli Slaw and Peanut Sauce
- 1/3 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter. I like Chucky.
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock. Use stock here if you have to add a layer of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar -- I used Rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar - I cut this back to a pinch with the peanut butter.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard blended with a little water to make a paste
- Optional -- sprinkle with some red pepper flakes
- 1 pound of Broccoli Slaw – found in the produce section of your grocery
- 7 ounce box Green Giant – Antioxidant Blend Vegetables, featuring broccoli, carrots and peppers.
- Whisk together the first seven ingredients in a bowl for the peanut sauce.
- I added the prepared frozen veggies at this time as well and then poured over the Packaged Broccoli Slaw.
Again, I only dress what I intend to eat to keep the crunch.
Folks always ask me for pictures of products so here you go!
*** Favorite Veggie Choice – Green Giant Steamers – Antioxidant Blend – Broccoli, Carrots, and Peppers.