Meatless Monday - The Cole Slaw Divide
Green and Red Cabbage At a recent gathering there was an argument about the best dressing for Cole Slaw and my answer remains - It depends! Earlier this month, one of my favorite Aunt's in Cassie invited us over for what she...
At a recent gathering there was an argument about the best dressing for Cole Slaw and my answer remains - It depends! Earlier this month, one of my favorite Aunt's in Cassie invited us over for what she called a Marshfield Sunday Supper. She served a fresh and crisp slaw with her Pork and Beef Roast along with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and homemade Applesauce with Asparagus as the other green.
Her dressing was not the usual vinegar and oil that I grew up with and the added crunch of the celery and peppers was a nice touch to this cold salad.
Cassie's Cole Slaw
Ingredients for Slaw:
- 1 head cabbage, sliced or grated ( you can purchase red and green cabbage with carrots pre-sliced in most grocery stores)
- 1 -2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped or grated (I would opt for yellow, red or orange as I do not like green peppers)
- Optional - Shredded Carrots 1 - 2 carrots for color, texture and yet another vegetable option
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 - 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup vinegar ( Apple Cider Vinegar can be used too and will help you cut back the sugar)
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar ( in trying to cut the sugar out, my Aunt suggested that you could use about 1/2 cup if desired. She admitted that she used closer to 3/4 cup of sugar in her dressing)
- Create the slaw and place in a large bowl to toss and then to store.
- Create the dressing in a saucepan on the stove, bringing this mixture to a boil, stirring to make certain the sugar is dissolved. Pouring this over the slaw while it is hot and mix thoroughly. Then, place in the fridge to chill before serving.
- Can be made a day ahead. I like to add a Granny Smith Apple to this for added crunch and some unexpected flavors.
But, if we are talking a side for some BBQ, we might need a Creamy version of Slaw as the best accompaniment. The vinegar might "fight" with the BBQ and Sauce.
Creamy Cole Slaw
- 16 ounce bag of pre-shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each of ground black pepper or white pepper, salt, celery seed, onion powder and garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Place slaw in a large bowl.
- Create dressing in a smaller bowl, whisking together mayo, sugar, seasoning and apple cider vinegar.
- Toss over cabbage. Mix well. Store in the fridge for at least 2 - 3 hours before serving. Can be made a day ahead.
- Stir again before serving.
Creamy Slaw belongs beside or topping a BBQ Sandwich. Also atop a Hot Dog dressed with Chili or a West Virginia Hot Dog as I have come to know them.
Again, the answer to the best slaw remains...it depends!