Southern Style Cornbread
BOX of Jiffy I have never been the biggest fan of Cornbread, but this one was so different, that it begs a shout-out. The one and only Mandy Landefeld as the lifestyle and entertaining expert and frequent chef at...
I have never been the biggest fan of Cornbread, but this one was so different, that it begs a shout-out. The one and only Mandy Landefeld as the lifestyle and entertaining expert and frequent chef at the Cook’s Warehouse had me changing my mind (and changing my shoes...) Visit her site here.
I was asked by Mandy to create two pans of this Cornbread as the starter for a Holiday Dressing or Stuffing earlier this fall. The moment I took a taste, I deemed this a perfect side for some Chili or a Breakfast Casserole.
I like when we can find some appropriate short cuts to save time and maintain quality. The familiar Jiffy Brand Corn Muffin Mix in the light blue boxes is the foundation, but we add some important new ingredients over the package directions to step-up this treat in Buttermilk, Creamed Corn and Onion Powder. I do not usually like my Cornbread sweet, but the added corn sweetens this some. The moist texture is also memorable for this Southern delicacy. Dry Cornbread whispers for a slather of butter, but this variety did not need any added condiments. There is a reason this is America’s Favorite, made in the USA since 1930 has been delivering quality and value for over 80 years.
Sometimes, recipes are just easy and good!
Southern Corny Cornbread
- 3 boxes Jiffy Cornbread mix (8.5 ounces each)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 can cream style corn
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 2 9” round pans or a 9 x 13 x 2 cake pan with non-stick spray or grease with butter.
- Mix all ingredients above in a large bowl until combined, but DO NOT overmix. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Excellent toasted the next day too!